Proposed FOSS Agenda - Anyone?

Hello all,
Was finally able to figure out the forum's interface today. I haven't seen any mail from anyone so I was afraid I could be missing all the fun.
I just thought we could maybe from the start identify some of the issues we want to discuss and brainstorm in this group. I am proposing the following:

1. Internetwork Routing with Vyatta & Openlinuxrouter and perhaps Zebra
2. Hotspot Management with Chillispot or Wifidog (I think NocatAuth is pretty much dead), FreeRadius and MySQL
3. Web caching with Squid
4. VOIP with Asterisk & Sip Express Router
5. Windows Desktop replacement/substitution with Ubuntu Desktop (or any other single CD distro --- Wazobia Linux maybe?)
6. Directory services (like Microsoft Active Directory) with Fedora Directory Services (FDS)
7. Network monitoring and security tools (Nmap, Wireshark, Nessus, MRTG, ngrep etc)
8. Gateway computer systems with IPCop
9. (this is a long short) but they are a couple of business applications out there for ERP and CRM) - these can typically be hosted in the datacenter hence their suggestion here
10. Groupware with eGroupware

etc etc etc

What do you guys say?
Shalom

Re: Proposed FOSS Agenda - Anyone?

Yes, shalom, i think this is another way forward for the forum, identifying and formulating action points. The areas mentioned are quite critical and needed most. I am suggesting the as follows
* That we identify lead volunteers for each of the activity to provide specific direction as how it can be implemented,
* We need to organize capacity building in specific areas to boost interest and committment of volunteers (one area that kept people away from FOSS is lack of capacity)

Nasir S. Zarummai
Zonal Data/ICT Assistant
World Health Organization (WHO)
Sokoto Zonal Office
Sokoto, Nigeria

[Tamon may need to modify his registration info (http://forum.org.ng/user/) with a signature to avoid being re-named blank or peace or salaam http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom Smiling ]

the usual suspects are here Smiling

Tamon's very first paragraph may underly a fundamental problem that may be applicable to foss and very many other things ? i.e. folk having a problem figuring the interface and not wanting to ask and (not being Tamons) giving up? this is a common problem, esp with foss & other things we are not used to- and for which is there no easily available support system- and i am as guilty as everyone else, tho' i can always blame ageing in my case Smiling

among the first things to do, if you know someone who has shown genuine interest in foss - this can be a student, staff, etc, and they don't have to be from your own workplace- invite them and if they fail to register, politely guide them through the site registration process and interfaces.

if there aren't anymore that's still ok if the present members can agree to focus on just 1 or 2 activity and proceed to start developing, &/or to interest/ train a few that are closeby & have the interest & capacity.

our group will succeed when volunteer team leaders emerge, e.g. by saying hey, i want to do/ work on xxx - who wants to join me? true even for the trainers to handle the capacity building aspect.

and what our group and teams succeed in doing will be useful & have lots of potential if there is an easily recognized present need for it, or highly likely immediate future need for it.

the forum will support what the group agrees to do, in whatever way that you want, to the best of our ability.

aminu

Pretty extensive list Mukom ... where do we start from? We may want to group these into categories for simplicity and base forum topics on them. Volunteer team leaders could be moderators of these forums and we can then explore/discuss/evaluate available options in a manageable way.

Quick examples that come to mind from your list would be;

Routing/Addressing - Software evaluations/Afrinic address blocks/etc
Bandwidth Optimisation - Caching/Traffic Control
Network Management and Monitoring
Security - Firewalls/Intrusion/VPNs
Messaging/Collaboration - Mail/IM/Groupware
Authentication - LDAP/Radius/

These are quick thoughts...I will engage in greater detail later

Dear all,
The first list was just a collection of possibilities. I was looking at it more from it being the idea generation phase of a brainstorming session (and during this phase, it is VERY IMPORTANT to withhold judgment so as to encourage divergent thinking). I think it is important to come up with as many ideas as possible (casting a very wide net) and then later, during idea selection phase, we can select the best.
So let the proposed study areas keep coming in and then when we get ... say 20 topics? we can select say 6 projects and focus on first.

Don't argue with a fool ... people might not know the difference.

"... was looking at it more from it being the idea generation phase... So let the proposed study areas keep coming in ..."

setting-up a FOSS support centre;
build an edu portal or customize an open one (say UPortal) to beat the racketeers;
introduce/ start some academic computing services, say GRIDs;

aminu

It will help to keep the ideas connected to the reality on the ground and target them to resolve real issues.

Developing an " edu portal" sounds like a great idea but customising uPortal requires capabilities that may/may not be readily available.

We may also want to include a survey of relevant skill sets in the community while we are discussing these options.

You make an important point about reality on the ground, and we should chalk up a skills survey.

But, especially given that we don't quite know the reality (I never even heard of "Zebra" until Tamon's post, I can freely confess!) and that this is a a brainstorming session, "it is VERY IMPORTANT to withhold judgment so as to encourage divergent thinking)..", to quote an earlier post.

I may not have expressed myself as well as I could. I understand the need to encourage divergent thinking and I am not making any judgement here.

Brainstorming is activity designed to find solutions to problems and my point was to make it grounded in our reality otherwise it could become an academic exercise.

The reality is what you already know i.e the problems you are trying to solve, the resources you have or need to develop. My understanding is that we are discussing FOSS options that can be applied in this direction or am I on the wrong page?

"the forum will support what the group agrees to do, in whatever way that you want, to the best of our ability", as i said much earlier.

[may i ask the manager how much longer this "..storming" session is to last, and what's the next stage? including this observer/ facilitator, there are 9 members so far. so even if we generate a million interesting topics (without instigating implied walkouts or worse), how many collaborations can the group handle at a time?]

aminu

"Brainstorming is activity designed to find solutions to problems and my point was to make it grounded in our reality otherwise it could become an academic exercise."

Xcept I am a little lost, this is not brainstorming of the kind quoted above ... it is rather brainstorming to generate ideas. I will emphasis and reiterate (not as a layman on the topic) that ALL FORMS OF JUDGMENT CRITICISMS MUST BE SUSPENDED. We will use another brainstorming session to EVALUATE and during that time, we shall link to reality and judge and criticise.

Some one also asked how long we will keep up this brainstorming? --- here is my take on it. For this to support, we need to get the buy-in of as many participants as possible. 9 people just doesn't cut it. I suggest we keep this up until we get at or about 20 active participants before we move towards start evaluation and implementation.

Tamon

[quote=Mukom mac TAMON]"Brainstorming is activity designed to find solutions to problems and my point was to make it grounded in our reality otherwise it could become an academic exercise."

Xcept I am a little lost, this is not brainstorming of the kind quoted above ... it is rather brainstorming to generate ideas. I will emphasis and reiterate (not as a layman on the topic) that ALL FORMS OF JUDGMENT CRITICISMS MUST BE SUSPENDED. We will use another brainstorming session to EVALUATE and during that time, we shall link to reality and judge and criticise.[/quote]

No need to be lost and do not consider my posts criticism of any sort. Instead look at them as what they are - part of the idea generation phase. All the sessions i.e idea generation, evaluation etc are directed towards resolving a problem/s so this necessarily means that the problem/s should be clearly defined and some criteria set.

Just my 0.02

Thanks to Omo for the heads up. Now that I think of it, I can't really convince myself of what our problem statement is, what are the objectives. We all implicitly have a knowledge of what the problem and objectives are but it will help all of us tremendously if we get on the same page about those problems and objectives. So please let have a problem statement, define objectives and establish metrics for judging success. Everyone please give it a thought and post something - I thus expect at least 9 posts relating to problem statement, objectives and metrics for success. Thank you.

___________________________________________________________________________________
'There is a PEACE that can only be found on the other side of WAR ..
If you avoid that war, then you avoid real peace' - King Arthur in 'The Last Knight'

Hello Everyone,
Am wondering if this forum is still active?
I'm much interested in FOSS. At the moment I'm more interested in (immediate problem solving )
1. Netowrk Security and Monitoring tools
2. Directory Services,
As these will help address immediate needs within my organisation. I couldn't help note that the last post here was in 2007. Oh well, lets see how this goes, we shouldn't blow out the flame just yet.

Kelechi Micheals
ICT4ED
Fantsuam Foundation
Kafanchan