What do we need in a Network lab?

If the forum has the resources, it could establish a test lab in Abuja where we can try and these things and show prove of concept ... then member universities can copy. With such a lab ... any one of us could just pop in (or it could be more organized like a week for a team of 5 ppl to come to the lab) and work on a solution and get it to the level of proof of concept.

We need to develop Mukoms idea quoted above into a full fledged concept paper/proposal complete with a budget that can be presented to the Forum secretariat. Inputs from varied sources interested in these sort of experimenting are solicited so we have as extensive a plan as possible.

Discussions would necessarily revolve around the purpose of the lab in greater detail and how this will be effected. One thought that springs to mind as I write is the need to articulate any outcomes to the larger membership who are the ultimate benefactors of any evaluations/experimentation.

How do we do this? I am a big fan of screen casting and the new dimension it brings to sharing information and supporting users. Would it be useful for this lab to have a dual purpose? A networking lab with multimedia facilities to create video documentation in the form of screencasts and maybe some experimentation with VoIP

Ladies and gentlemen...lets hear your views

Re: What do we need in a Network lab?

I would think the following are necessary
1. Broadband Internet connection (I assume is aready available)
2. Small LAN with about 10 points
3. About 20 P4 class systems (bare hard drive) that can be used formatted and re-fitted for any service.
4. Printer, DVD/CD Writer and supplies (blank CDs)
5. Network Switches (Linksys will do for now with one or 2 Cisco switches)
6. Cisco Routers (Plain old 2600 or 3600 will do)
7. Wireless Access Points
8. Hardware SIP/H323 phones for testing VoiP

+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+
Don't argue with a fool ... people might not know the difference.

yes, we should be able to do this. can we (as per Omo's earlier post), specify a) functions, b) budgets?

it seems to me, however, that unless it also serves other purposes/ functions, locating such a lab in the Forum secretariat in Abuja (rather than in a suitable host university or institution) may result in under-utilization of the facility. what do you think?

[quote=Aminu Ibrahim]it seems to me, however, that unless it also serves other purposes/ functions, locating such a lab in the Forum secretariat in Abuja (rather than in a suitable host university or institution) may result in under-utilization of the facility. what do you think?[/quote]

Training is a secondary function that can be expanded to increase the utility of the facility. We could have a sort of a ready-made training/multimedia/networking lab complete with teaching aids etc that can be used by the community to experience technologies and best practices a la Tamon which they can look to replicate in their home institutions.

I accept that you have a valid point and there are associated issues like costs of traveling/accommodation but the question of location may be answered by the eventual form of the lab and it's requirements. Even if it were in Abuja, I can't see how it could be in the current Forum secretariat or is the Forum planning to move? Wink

How about these for purpose:
1. To research the applicability of FOSS in university campus networks.
2. Come up with best-practices that can be easily implemented by other universities.
3. During NgNOG, there should be sessions that originate from the lab. This way NgNOG can really consist of stuff we do ourselves.

Tamon

+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+
´The fundamental problems we face can not be solved at the same level of thinking that created them´ - Albert Einstein.

I think these are fine as general statements but we will need more specific functions to be able to come up with the clearer defined objectives/activities that can be budgeted for.

For instance - FOSS VoIP explorations as suggested in an earlier post could be oriented towards integration with telcos/existing traditional PBX's and experimentation with systems for number discovery like ENUM and DUNDI or establishing call centers. We would then be able to budget for equipment/resources required for these activities.

Routing requirements started this discussion thread and we would want to see some experimentation with the chosen protocols and software. Also some IPv6 lab work especially if we can get an allocation from an ISP

Tamon,

In what areas do you think we should develop these best practices that we want to present to the community? I am also interested in these sessions we can originate for the NgNOG - can you provide some examples?

Things required in the lab as stated by Tamon above fall short because the fundamental equipments are power refinning equipment these inlude;
= a very reliable stabilizer.
= a high powered UPS.
= A very bright lighting system.
= A stand-by Generator.possibly automatic.
= Air-conditioning system.
Thank you.